Thursday, November 10, 2011

Operation EFI: Now with less fiery death!

Aluminum shell around a rubber sack filled with porous foam. It's like a canteen for a thirsty horse!
The glorious image you see above is my new fuel cell from Fuel Safe Racing Cells. It is a drop in replacement for the OEM tank with 16 gallon capacity. Fuel Safe added a return fitting to the sump just for me for about 20 dollars so I could run it with EFI, and I got it with the remote fill kit so I could use the stock fill point. It also has a factory-calibrated sending unit so I won't run out of gas unwittingly while running moonshine with Burt Reynolds driving to the store.

Odds and ends are slowly being taken care of as well. My wiring checked out good on all of my sensors so far, my fan turns on when commanded and my injectors all fire. I locked out the mechanical advance on my MSD distributor, and I'll be using the VR sensor that typically triggers the 6AL box to feed the ECU crank reference. Running an 8 tooth wheel on the cam is like running a 4 tooth on the crank, so the ECU is set up to detect it as such and send the signal to the MSD box trigger for ignition (white wire on the 6AL.)
 
Things to tackle: fuel lines and pump install, intake casting cleanup and install, throttle body clearancing and throttle linkage, distributor install, alternator bracket modification, fuel pressure test, and then idle tuning. Slowly but surely it's on the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment